R C & G


Not much to be said about RC&G's Porter # 2, Model is a stock Bachmann lettered for the RC&G, in the photo below, the car trailing the engine is the parasite car for the battery and receiver. # 2 is currently assigned to work train detail. It was found to be a bit slippery on the RC&G's grades and additional 2 pounds of weight was added by casting some lead weights that completely fill the two side tanks.

After other locomotives were brought on line # 2 was was side lined and collected dust for most of the last 20 years. When I completed the dual gauge interchange I realized that unless I could equip my standard gauge switcher with functioning dual couplers on both ends I would run into situations where I needed to move narrow gauge cars in order to spot of move standard gauge cars. At that point I decided to make #2 a dedicated narrow gauge switcher for the interchange. I had long since removed the gondola's battery and receiver for use elsewhere and I wanted something shorter anyway. After checking out and lubricating the engine I decided to upgrade it a bit. The next photo shows #2 before I started.

As you can see it was still equipped with the 'G' scale Kadee coupler and mounting the #1 gauge Kadee was going to require some modification. While I was mulling that over I decided to add some detail to the valve gear. As it came from the factory the valve gear actuator rod goes now where. I removed the supplied rod and replaced it with a piece of brass rod. I then fabricated a couple of actuator levers from brass rod and styrene and mounted them to holes drilled in the side frame. They are just static but and a little more detail.

I decided that I would fabricate a new from Pilot from brass bar and other shapes to which I could add a Kadee end beam coupler. I also milled a piece of aluminum which helped strengthen the plastic tongue supporting the pilot. The end result is shown below.

I also decided it needed a back up light so one was added to the roof.

I also added pop valves and a whistle to the steam dome and a generator.

The next photo shows the rear mounted coupler and holes drilled for the male pins of an interconnecting cable between the engine and its battery car. On pin has already been installed.

The next three photos show it all painted up and ready for service.

This locomotive needs a battery car as the side tanks are full of weight and there was precious other room for even a radio receiver let alone a battery. Since it's regular assignment was to be at the dual gauge interchange and there was little there in the way for crew comfort I decided to make the battery car a crew car. I wanted to have a short car so as to give it maximum flexibility moving cars around on crowded track-age. In the end I decided to use one of the RC&G's first cabooses. Number 951 was a four wheel Bobber caboose from Bachmann. Crews found it rough riding for main line use so it was good candidate for a crew car.

Over the years the roof had begun to deteriorate so another reason for it's choice as a crew car.

The cupola was removed and the old roofing material stripped off. A new styrene roof was laminated on and a tool box added under the floor to house the power switch and charging jack.

The battery, receiver and speaker were located inside. The Receiver is one of the newer REVO boards that includes sound. While it's not all that great quality wise I found it was more than adequate for this application. The wooden box is the speaker enclosure.

And a view from the other side.

And the completed car with roof walk, stack, and all the details in place ready for service.

Return to the Motive Power page


Updated 2/28/19